UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

The roots from my neighbours tree have already damaged our

The roots from my neighbours tree have already damaged our wall between the properties.
I am concerned that they may cause damage to my bungalow approx 3-4 meters from the tree. What recourse do I have? Many thanks
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You should speak to your neighbour about this and see if they will fell the trees causing the damage. This will put them on notice of the risks posed by their trees as they would be liable for damage caused by them as per the case of Khan and Khan V. Harrow Council and Kane: http://www.bllaw.co.uk/services_for_businesses/property_litigation/news_and_updates/tree_root_damage.aspx

If they refuse to do anything, you may file a formal claim for damage to your wall. As your bungalow has not yet been damaged, you would not be able to claim damages for that.

Hope this helps

If your neighbour refuses to do so