wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I am in the process of adding an extension to a mid terraced

I am in the process of adding an extension to a mid terraced property. The extension consists of a 7 meter long downstairs addition with an 4 meter long upstairs addition. These additions comply with the planning offices suggested guidelines for properties of this type.
I learned today that the next door neighbor had objected on the grounds that the development would restrict his view / light to the top floor window of his property.
The other neighbor has already developed their property in the same way as I am proposing, but the neighbor who has objected retains the original building line.
My question is, what issue, if any, could come up with this?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. The planners might agree that the loss of view and light is detrimental to the amenity of the neighbours property. However,that may be insufficient in its own right to lead to refusal, and if a precedent has been set on the street, the planners would find it difficult to justify a refusal. So, with that in mind, the objection might be rejected. Quite separately, the neighbour might also try to claim rights to light. This is effectively the legal right to enjoy a certain level of light through the window to a house, if that window has enjoyed that light for over 20 years. If your extension is likely to reduce the level of light significantly, the neighbour could use this to injunct the works and stop the extension.bthe planners wouldn't necessarily care about this, but a right to light is a real and enforceable legal right, so you need to ensure the light levels will not be materially affected.