Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I share an alley with a neighbouring house. The owner of that

I share an alley with a neighbouring house. The owner of that house rents out 4 terraced properties on the neighbouring plot (i.e. the house next door and three further properties) and all four of those properties use the alley. The owner is now trying to build two further properties behind the four terraced houses. My question is (a) how do I find out who owns and has a legal right to use the alley (I am assuming we own half of it?) and (b) if there is a right for the neighbouring house, or for all four houses, does it follow that the owner would be permitted to grant a right of access to the tenants/purchasers of the new-build properties without our consent (given that we presumably own half the alley)?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You can get the deeds for each of the properties by following this link.

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

they cost 3 pounds per title copy and 3 pounds per plan copy.

You can then see who has the right to go over what and who owns what.

If the terraced houses have the right to use the alleyway and he is building the extra properties in land owned by the terraced houses, then the new houses also gain the right to use the alleyway.

I am sorry if this is bad news