Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hello my mother in law (73) wants to buy a property. She is

my mother in law (73) wants to buy a property. She is going to put in half and I am going to put in the other half. For various reason, for which I am happy with, she does not want to be put it in my name, and I do not want it to go her name. Can she put it into our kids name. All of them are under 6 years of age?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that you have to be an adult to legally own a property in the UK. Not that it is relevant, but furthermore, only 4 names maximum can go on the Deeds to a property. Therefore it won't be possible for the property to go into the kids names.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks

Can it be put into a family trust and how would I do this?

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

It will be quite costly, but if this is what both you and your mother in law wish, the property could be put into a Trust. This would entail annual accounts to HMRC however and 2 Trustees (probably you and your Mother in law would have to appointed to look after and control the Trust).
I am not sure who is going to be residing in the property but I would suggest you both take specialist legal advice before proceeding with any Trust.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks. just one last thing - are you saying costly to set up or because of accounts etc?

Hi, both to be honest! You will probably be charged approx.£500-£750 plus VAT in Solicitors fees and any income received from the property will be liable to tax at up to 34%!

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes
AL