wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi, I am recently divorced and during the process I took

I am recently divorced and during the process I took out a mortgage for the house in my own name and my ex signed it over. I had to pay the full amount of stamp duty for a second time. My ex is now coming back wanting me to agree to give him a share of the equity and I want to know if he can do this? He left me after an abusive relationship and I am bringing up our 3 children.
Lindsay

wingrovebuyer : Hello. When you say he "signed it over" can you explain what you mean, in detail please? Do you mean he signed a Transfer of his share to you?
Customer: Yes he did
wingrovebuyer : Thanks. In that case I can't see what legal basis he has to demand equity back. He has relinquished any rights he had and signed the property over to you. Were I you, I'd tell him you have no obligation and no intent to do as he requests. Best, WB
Customer: Thanks so much.
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
HiI am afraid that the matter is not that simple once you take Family law into accountUnless there has been a Final Clean break order made within the Divorce Proceedings then your ex can make a claim - although how successful that claim will be depends on a great many factorsI am sorry to have to give potentially bad newsClare
Hello. Has a final clean break order been made please?