75100385

Hello I have a tenant who I have served a section 21 notice

I have a tenant who I have served a section 21 notice to quit in April 2014, there are rent arrears dating back from April 2011 , we have not pressed payment as the partner claimed to be terminally ill and we did not feel it appropriate, it transpires that the illness 3 years on was a slight fabrication so morally we feel we can try to retrieve the outstanding balance. We also have a guarantors agreement signed in 2007

My questions are

1. Are we permitted to advise the guarantor or the outstanding debt and remind them of their legal obligation to pay?

2. Can we claim arrears dating back 3 years

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

1. Yes you can pursue the guarantor and/or tenant

Alex Watts :

2. You have 6 years to claim for arrears under the Limitation Act so yes you can

Alex Watts :

Customer: Thanks Alex
Customer: thanksAlexThanks
Customer: alex
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer: Thanks Alex, can I send the letter to the guarantor as a heads up on what may happen and remind them of their legal responsibility? Or should I wait to see if the rent arrears are paid?
Alex Watts :

Yes notify the guarantor as they may put pressure on the tenant.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer: Yes it does thankyou