UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My neighbour is building an extension very close to the boundary.

My neighbour is building an extension very close to the boundary. though we have not given him permission to enter our property has taken his fences down, even though a party wall act allowed him to take down his fences to build the foundations ( its very close to our garage) he hasn't replaced the fences. recently he started jamming his fences against our garage wall and a privacy fence that a previous owner had put up, as the old fences were wire, the privancy fence was not on the boundary but aligned with the garage wall for convenience.It is clear that the builders have been going down the side of the garage to build his extension.

yesterday removed the fence and put it back on the property, today I found he had re-jammed it against our garage.

we have written a letter to him and tried to hand it to him but he pretended he wasn't in and refused to answer the door.

Should I get a solicitors letter?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it may be a good idea to involve solicitors to write to him now as he is trespassing on your property.

Under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992, he has the right to apply for a court order allowing him to access your land for him to undertake repairs, maintenance etc on his property.

However, this does not cover extensions or new building works.

Hope this helps