Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

what can i do if excluded tenants refuse to leave my house

what can i do if excluded tenants refuse to leave my house after notice to quit(in writing has expired
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you mean an excluded occupier? So they live in your house?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they live in my house and share the kitchen and bathroom with me

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Ok.

I presume they do go outside sometimes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they do go outside but: I allowed them to fit a lock on their bedroom door and the refused to give me a key. Also the girl's parents are also lodgers here and as far as I know they plan to stay. The parents came first, a few months later the young couple moved in.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Have you given notice to all of them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only t the young couple. The parents were very annoyed and said they would be leaving, but I did not give them notice to quit (had no reason to) and know they are finding difficult to get another place in the same area

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information

If you have given notice to them in writing then you can just wait until they go out and change the locks behind them. These people are just lodgers not tenants and they do not have nearly the protection that AST tenants do. You do not need a court order to evict them.

Also, if they have added locks to the bedroom doors then they are free to do that but you are entitled to a copy of the key. If none has been provided then you could replace the entire lock and sue for the costs here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked if it would be possible to get the door off its hinges (after end of notice to quit) at a time when one of the is in and the door is open and also to remove their furniture to the patio

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Sorry?