tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

Good morning, I was speaking to you last night regarding

Good morning,

I was speaking to you last night regarding a 'blocking light' issue from my neighbours conservatory and six foot fence, just a thought but the combination of the two now block light in my kitchen (through the patio door and kitchen window) which never did before, bearing in mind the house in on an angle (irregular shaped plot) and was built in '92, can I look at proceedings regarding the blocked light through these two apertures. I'm aware of the blocking of light in the garden but just to clarify the window issue and my options if I persue this avenue. Many thanks again in advance.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If the light has come through the windows for 20 years (absent an express right of light in your property deeds or some other document) then you might have an actionable cause of action here.

tdlawyer :

It does require the light to have diminished by a noticeable amount, not just a trifling amount, it has to actually interfere with your enjoyment of the property. If you have these things, then you should have a cause of action.

tdlawyer :

Rights of light though, I will flag now, can be incredibly difficult when it comes to legal argument etc. surrounding them.

Customer:

Good evening,

tdlawyer :

Evening!

Customer:

The kitchen and patio door have always received full sunlight through them however I now receive no sunlight through either, this is now due to the combination of the conservatory (which was only built 9cm away from the boundary line) and the now the six foot fence. Three quarters of my garden(from the back of the house now receives no sunlight at all).

tdlawyer :

Then you may have something to base a cause of action on here.

tdlawyer :

I would recommend you get photos of the issue, the windows etc., the fence and take them to a solicitor and give him.her a full background. Then get a letter before action written by him/her. Hopefully, to avoid court action, the fence would be removed.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do that and again thank you for your advice as like last night it has been invaluable to me.

tdlawyer :

Thank you too!

Customer:

Your very welcome as I have found the question you answered last night and now today as been very helpful and I will happily recommend the site to people in the future. Once again please accept my grateful thanks.