tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

I moved into house with an unadopted road which no one owns

I moved into house with an unadopted road which no one owns (not registered with land registry) can we take ownership of it ??
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Somebody will still own the land so it's not as easy as just deciding to take ownership of it.

tdlawyer :

If you try to adversely possess it then you would need to take control of it and exclude anybody else.

tdlawyer :

You would need to do this for 12 years. For a road, that might prove difficult, at least without alterting the true owner.

Customer:

if all the residents of the street decide to make the surface to a good and safe state could we be liable

tdlawyer :

Yes, you could be, as you would be trepassing on somebody elses property.

tdlawyer :

The true owner might be rather grateful you've maintained it, but you just don't know for sure.