Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

We have a flat which is rented out, which a large letting agency

Customer Question

We have a flat which is rented out, which a large letting agency found for us. At the end of the 2 year letting agreement, we decided to renew the rental agreement with the tenants directly, which we have done, and not through the letting agency. We told the letting agency the tenants were moving out.

The letting agency then did background checks on the tenants, and found they were still there, and are now asking us for 2 months rent plus Vat as their fee for "finding" our tenants.

My question is , is it legal for the letting agency to snoop around these tenants, once their agreement had ended?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Provided the agreement allows for you to pay a fee for a continuing tenant then you may be liable for the fee.

There is nothing whatsoever to stop the agent “snooping around the tenants” provided they do not harass the tenant

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.