tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

I found out my landlord had tapped into my electric box. I

I found out my landlord had tapped into my electric box. I ended up with a huge bill which my supplier even being shown the proof of another cable linked into my meter wants me to pay. They say its an issue for me to sort with the landlord and are demanding that I pay this huge bill. Where do I stand legally?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If the landlord has done this without your consent, this is a criminal offence, and the police would be interested if you made a complaint to them.

tdlawyer :

You're only liable for what you use, and if somebody else extracts electricity without your consent, you're not liable to pay it. However, what the supplier may say is that it's your supply, we dont know who had what, and you have to pay for it all. The starting point being that, on the face of it, it's your supply and you're liable, and there is some merit in that approach.

Customer:

I wasn't made aware of this when I moved into the property. It was only after I told the landlord that I was having the meter checked because of the high amount of usage. They then told me they had a sub meter (which I never saw) and would pay me the difference. I live alone and work all day, my bill come to 1200 pound, they paid me 6 pound towards this. I noticed when they had huge outdoor parties complete with sound and light systems my meter spinning so fast you could dry your washing on it.

tdlawyer :

Ultimately, though, is it not without your consent?

Customer:

No it wasn't with my consent. I'm more than happy to pay some of the amount but can't afford the whole lot. I'd like to know where I stand with the supplier on this issue. Someone has tapped into their supply, I'm not sure if its even safe. Where do I stand if I offer to pay a fixed amount?

tdlawyer :

You can offer to ay a fixed amount, the probelm is that if you don't reach agreement with the lender or get the landlord to pay his share of what was taken, is that this is likely to end up in a court somewhere and a judge will end up determining who pays what.

Customer:

Seems a bit unfair when there is proof the elecric has been used by someone else. At the time my account handler agreed it was a very high amount and not normal for a person living alone in a small property

tdlawyer :

It does, and I agree, but ultimately you're going to have to demonstarte it wasn't you that used the electric. If you can show somebody has stolen it, without your consent, then this is useful and should prevent you having to pay for it.

tdlawyer :

Electric companies would be used to this scenario and should, upon proper proof being provided, cease to pursue you for the wrongly taken electricity.

Customer:

There was nothing in my letting agreement about them using the electic.

tdlawyer :

Then it's without your consent.

tdlawyer :

You might consider therefore reporting this to the police.

tdlawyer :

Then if they can ascertin the amount of use by him etc., this would be useful evdience for the electric supplier.

Customer:

Even though I no longer live at the property?

tdlawyer :

Yes, you should still be able to make a complaint to the police.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for your help

tdlawyer :

Thank you too. Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer:

No thats all thank you

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer :

Please remember to rate the answer for me. Thanks.

Customer:

I will

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.