Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My neighbour is replacing part of a wooden fence alongside

My neighbour is replacing part of a wooden fence alongside my boundary. The boundary which is his responsibility. He has had the "good" side fixed facing his side, such that now half of the fence has the "good" side facing him and the other half facing me.
Is there a law governing which side of a fence panel should face which way?

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

from what you say, do I understand correctly that you accept that the fence in question which he is replacing belongs to him as opposed to being your property please?

Customer:

You understand correctly.

Joshua :

thank you. A neighbour placing the "good side" of a fence facing away from his property towards his neighbour is unfortunately nothing more than a polite social convention. it is unfortunately not a legally enforceable convention

Joshua :

it is quite possible for you to correct your own fence or boundary structure on your side of the boundary to hide his fence posts but obviously this would incur costs on your part and says unlikely to be an attractive proposition

Joshua :

*correct = erect.

Joshua :

Apologies for the typo