Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I gave this peoplke 2 weeks notice. i then gave 1 week and

I gave this peoplke 2 weeks notice. i then gave 1 week and 1 day extension. They should leave tomorow but have just told me that the place where they are moving to is only ready wednesday so they cannot leave tomorow. I am going abroad on thursday and want to leave room ready for next occupiers. What can I do? I feel i have already accommodate them too much, considering that i had told them 3 months ago (in writing) that i wanted them to move out.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they are excluded occupiers and pay their rent weekly. I understand that

1 i only have to give "reasonable" notice which i believe the original 2 weeks cover (and i added another week)

2 the notice need not be in writing - yet I have put it in writing

3 i do not need a court order to evict them

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

On your specific points

1 You do only have to give reasonable notice although I would have suggested giving them 4 weeks notice.

2 It should be in writing

3 No, you do not. If they are excluded occupiers then you just need to give reasonable notice and then you can literally wait until they leave and change the locks after them as long as you make their goods available for their collection at any time by appointment.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer is the logical one but i am dealing with illogical people. One of them may stay put (the woman is a post-grad student so has a lot of time at home working on her stuff. I may still be faced with a room full of furniture - i have asked one of your colleagues a question on this - that i need to make ready, possibly a person adamant that she will not leave
and a very stressful situation

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Yes, of course you are. Unreasonable people cannot be negotiated with.

They may stay put. Sometimes they say they will. I have never yet known a tenant who can stay put forever. They have to go out of the house sometimes. The problem being though that, of course, so do you sometimes.