UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

HiWe have a shared boundary fence which blow down over

Customer Question

We have a shared boundary fence which blow down over 2 years ago, We are wanting a new fence put up and have a quotes for the work. We have passed the quotes to our neighbour. We have got over 3 quotes now and all she keeps saying is there are far to expensive. Quote range from £640 to £1040.

I was just wondering is there anyway we can get her to pay of the fence cost as its starting to get my wife down and just want a fence up so our children can play in our lovely garden. It states on our deeds that it is a shared boundary as if it was not not a shared boundary, We would have the fence done a long time ago. But dont se why we should pay for a fence when it is half our neighbours.

Darren Stubley
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Darren

I am sorry but you cannot force your neighbour to accept any of the quotes or pay her share for the fence.

Only a court can force her to do so.

It is clear that your neighbour is being unreasonable and you may inform her that you will get the fence put up at a specified cost and give her a chance to respond in say 7 days failing which the work will proceed and she will be expected to pay her half.

Hope this helps