How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3695
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have a tenancy agreement with a private landlord that started

Resolved Question:

I have a tenancy agreement with a private landlord that started on 13th March 2010 until 12th June 2011, the rent is £4k monthly. It was extended from 12th June 2012 until 11th June 2013 and then again from 12th June 2013 until 11th June 2014. The landlord is a house and the landlord does not live with us. The deposit is £7,200. What kind of tenancy do I have, and how should the landlord have protected the deposit if at all?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

The criteria for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy are contained in the Housing Act 1988. An AST must be:
1. Let to a private individual;
2. For a term of no longer than 3 years;
3. Where the property is your principal residence;
4. The property is used as a private dwelling.

From what you have described this sounds like an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Under an AST the landlord is obliged to put the deposit in a secure bond scheme. Failure to do so within 30 days and they could be liable to pay you up to 3 times the value of your deposit in damages. See the Housing Act 2004 s.213.

I look forward you hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you