Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I have a 20 year lease on a commercial lease. The lease is

Customer Question

I have a 20 year lease on a commercial lease. The lease is registered at the land registery.

I have agreed a reduction in the rent with the landlord and he has produced a deed of variation. Does this deed of variation have to be registered at the land registry before it is considered legal
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you intending to stay in the property or stay in the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I currently run a business from the property and intend to continue in the property for the remaining 15 years of the lease period.

The landlord is happy with this.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

The deed is still effective even if it is not registered at the Land Registry.

If you want it registered, it is the tenants (your) duty to register it.

The reason for registering it is so that if, for example, you were going to sell the balance of the lease, the person buying the lease from you as notice of it in the land registry deeds.

The fact that it is not registered, does not affect its legal standing

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/