75100385

can a property management company charge me as a landlord,

Customer Question

can a property management company charge me as a landlord, for an accountant to deal with the accounts of the property.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What does your lease say about fees please?

JACUSTOMER-9g111733- :

I will need to get back to you on that one, after I find this out.

Alex Watts :

Sure please do

JACUSTOMER-9g111733- :

the lease was originally with silkwood homes with which I have a copy. This was then sold at auction in2009. I do not have a lease with new owner. the original sum was£ 250 in 2006. the new property management charged £500 + in 2010 which included funds paid in advance for maintenance. They then added additional sum of £300 for an accountant last year for the first time of which I pay one fifth. The sums for this year are nearer £700 per tenant. should I have had a new lease when the new owners took charge, and why have they now introduced a charge for an accountant without our knowledge.

JACUSTOMER-9g111733- :

the explanation for accountant fees are that: the expenditure requires certification nominated by the free holder. why is this necessary now when not done in 2010 or 2011.

Alex Watts :

Does the lease allow it to be assigned please?

JACUSTOMER-9g111733- :

where would I find this information. We were under the impression that once all the flats which were built in 2006that the leasing rights would be handed over to us. The owners Silkwood homes however put up the leasehold for auction without any clear notification that this was to happen. all I know is it was put up for auction and changed in that manner.

Alex Watts : It should be contained within your lease.