75100385

Hello We recently challenged Lambeth Council over the removal

We recently challenged Lambeth Council over the removal of an old and very large tree next to my home in a conservation area. We lost to the local Ombudsman, but received a court injunction to halt the removal of the tree at the last minute.
Now the court has decided to order a judicial review of the councils decision.
What will this entail and how much is it likely to cost?
Will I have to pay the councils fees if I lose?

Karen

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

This is where a Judge of a High Court reviews the decision to see whether they have the legal power or their decision is reasonable.

Alex Watts :

A Judge can agree with the decision or remit it back for further consideration

Alex Watts :

If you are the applicant and you lose then you may well have to pay the costs of the Council.

Alex Watts :

In terms of costs it is likely to be around £5000 - to £10,000

Alex Watts :

You may get legal aid if it is an important issue but the rules have recently changed

Alex Watts :

Customer: What about an Aarhus case?
Alex Watts : Do you mean something else as I have never heard of that.