Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

Hi. I bought a house 10 yrs ago with my x partner. I put 25k

Customer Question

Hi. I bought a house 10 yrs ago with my x partner. I put 25k into the property. I only took 15k out so my son would have a home when he went to visit his dad as his dad didn't work that often. I stayed on the mortgage for 4/5 yrs as he refused to sell or move out. Eventually I had to come of the mortgage so I could buy somewhere to live. He also had lodgers living at his address. Now he has sold the house with 30+k. Profit. He has never paid anything towards my son either. Would I be entitled to any of this money. Even if it's to get back what I originally put in. As he put in nothing!
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Were you ever married?

DO you know how the property was owned? Was it as a joint tenant or a tenant in common?

When you took out the £15k was this just paid in cash or was their any agreement signed?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We just had a joint mortgage. I think my name was the the first signature what ever you call it. I remortgaged for the 15k. I moved out but was still on the mortgage for another 4/5 yrs. I didn't contribute to the mortgage as he had a lodger. I only came of it as couldn't get another mortgage whilst being on that one and he wouldn't sell of move out. . We had a verbal agreement that I would get the rest of my money back which of course now he is denying now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No we weren't married. We have a child though
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

What I need to know if whether you were listed as owner of the property that part is important. Therefore you need to find out if you were joing tenants or tenants in common.

Separately if you can prove that you contributed to the property and did not get your full stake back, as he has sold the property this becomes a straight forward money claim. You can start the claim here www.mcol.gov.uk

Are you confident he still has the money?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the house hasn't gone through the sale yet. I'm trying to get documentation to prove I paid the money in but my bank is saying it only go's back 10yrs. I'm trying to reach the solicitor that we used. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any bank statements to prove it?

If the sale has not gone through and you are listed as one of the legal owners he wont be able to sell it without your signature.

It is very important if you find this out. Go to the Land Registry and download the "Official Copy" for the property. It will cost about £6.

On the official copy of the property there is a "Section A" - Proprietorship Register. That will tell you if you are listed as the legal owner or not.

AJ