75100385

I have a landlord that is potentially being repossessed by

I have a landlord that is potentially being repossessed by his lender. The court date is set, where do the tenants stand could they just leave now if they wanted to do so due to the circumstances and would we just have to return their deposit.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

You can apply to the Court to stay in the property but the Court can only grant this for up to 6 months

Alex Watts :

But you need to make an application to the Court using form N244

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

But you can only get yourself 2 months, not longer

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Hi Alex,

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I was just wondering would the tenant be within their rights to just leave now if they wanted due to the circumstances

Alex Watts :

Only if there were a Court order for possession.

Alex Watts :

Not the threat because the Landlord could clear the arrears or come to an agreement with the lender.

Customer:

ok great thanks, XXXXX XXXXX if possession is granted for date x would they then have to pay rent up to that date ?

Customer:

and not leave before

Alex Watts :

Yes you would.

Customer:

great thanks