UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, Ive rented a small studio flat in a house which has been

Customer Question

Hi, I've rented a small studio flat in a house which has been converted into quite a few studio flats. I have no contract with the landlord and it came to light after inspection by local council that the studios are being let out illegally and have not been approved/certified. I've been asked to move out by the landlord. Do I have to move out or do I have any rights to stay till I find suitable accomodation? Thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may refuse to move out until you find suitable accomodation as your landlord may only evict you using proper procedure by going through the courts.

It is your landlord's problem that they let out the property without being properly licensed, not yours.

Having said that, you do not want to live in an illegal property any longer than you have to and you should secure alternative accomodation as soon as possible and move out for your own benefit.

Hope this helps