UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi I am currently renting a property and in the back garden

I am currently renting a property and in the back garden are two very large trees. The trees cut all the light out of the back of the property and tower over the conservatory, One of the trees is encroaching on the property next door and the other now has branches leaning on the shed roof. My question is - Is my Landlady responsible for maintaining the trees? (It states in my tenancy agreement that I am responsible for grass, edges, and shrubs.)

Many Thanks XXXXX
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The trees are the responsibility of your landlady and she would be liable if they cause any damage to your neighbours property, as the trees are the owners responsibility.

You could also contact your local council Tree Team as they could force your landlady to act before the trees cause damage.

Hope this helps