75100385

Hi Alex, I wonder if you can help me at all i have a assured

Customer Question

Hi Alex,

I wonder if you can help me at all i have a assured shorthold tenancy agreement signed between myself and private landlord which ends 5th April 2014.

My landlord called me last week with 1.5 weeks left of the agreement to say that she will be increasing the rent at the end. Myself and partner have seperated and told her we will be looking to move out however she is stating i still need to give her 1 month notice. Since then she has decided to sell the propety and had the estate agents round yesterday then asked for people to view this today which i said i needed 24 hours notice first.

Is there anyway in which i can move out of the property at the end of the contract without having to pay a full month notice?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is in the agreement about allowing viewings please?

Alex Watts :

What does the agreement say about the rent increase procedure?>

JACUSTOMER-11qllhog- :

permit the landlord or the landlords agent at reasonable hours in the daytime within the last 28 days of the tenancy to enter and view the property with prospective tenants or purchasers

JACUSTOMER-11qllhog- :

i cant see anything in the contract about rent increase

Alex Watts :

Does it say they need to give 24 hours or anything?

JACUSTOMER-11qllhog- :

no

Alex Watts :

Ok - 24 hours notice I consider to be reasonable

Alex Watts :

As for any rent increase the Landlord needs your consent.

Alex Watts :

If you refuse to agree to the increase (which they should give you notice of their intention to do so) then they can't increase it

Alex Watts :

However if you dispute the rent increase you can give notice to the Landlord that you seek to go to the Rents Valuation Tribunal

Alex Watts :

They would consider whether the proposed rent is fair.

Alex Watts :

For more information please see:

Alex Watts :

https://www.gov.uk/housing-tribunals

Alex Watts :

And

Alex Watts :

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-11qllhog- :

As we have given her notice to leave i wondered if i am able to leave the contract at the dates end or whether i am required to give the full 1 month notice

Alex Watts :

You are required to give 1 months notice if that is what your contract states

JACUSTOMER-11qllhog- :

thank you

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Alex Watts :

Please remember to leave feedback before you go today