75100385

A neighbour is in the process of planting a row of tall trees

Customer Question

A neighbour is in the process of planting a row of tall trees that reach the height of our roof less than three metres from the rear of our home. This has the potential to block light from all the windows at the rear of the house. Have we any grounds on which to object?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What type of trees are they please?
JACUSTOMER-hueapave- :

They appear to be deciduous specimen trees that are slender and about seven to eight metres tall

Alex Watts : Have you reported it to the council at al?
JACUSTOMER-hueapave- :

No, I wanted to know if we have any rights to light etc., as these trees will shield the light from our home and garden before I raise the matter first with my neighbour.

Alex Watts :

It depends on the trees etc. You should first report this to the Council

Alex Watts :

They can investigate this and see if planning permission is neeeded.

Alex Watts :

If not it is possible you can seek Court action to make them reduce the tree height.

Alex Watts :

For this you would ideally need a Solicitor to write to them and ask to reduce the height or say you will go to Court.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings.

Alex Watts :

You would need to complete form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

and N16a http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n016a-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

This would go before a Court who would decide whether to make an Order reducing the height.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse it can be considered contempt of Court

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/