75100385

Hello, I recently built a detached garage on my property complete

Customer Question

I recently built a detached garage on my property complete with a separate hallway with shower room and stairs leading to a first floor ‘studio’ with two dormers in the roof space. I am now considering putting a small kitchenette in the studio area which would allow one of my student sons to occupy with a greater degree of independence.
If I go ahead with this would it require me to register the studio as a separate property for council tax purposes? (If so how do I go about doing this?) Furthermore if I later wanted to allow a rent paying lodger to use the living area would I then need to get planning permission to allow it independent status? Would it then have to have a separate address? Are there any other implications – the garage water, electricity and gas supplies are all supplied via the main house and there are no separate meters. Would there be any further consequences when I eventually sell the house? Thanks for your help.
Peter

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If you are thinking of splitting this into two residences you will need planning permission

Alex Watts :

Once you have permission and carry out the work you simply notify the Council and they will provide two separate Council tax bills.

Alex Watts :

But if they are going to be two independent dwellings, planning permission is needed before you do this.

Alex Watts :

You would also need to notify Royal Mail of the split so they know where to deliver post to!

Alex Watts :

You would also need to split supplies in terms of gas, water, electric etc or have separate meters

Alex Watts :

They need to be two totally separate supplies and everything independent.

Alex Watts :