Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I rent a house and I will be moving out soon. I have informed

Hi, I rent a house and I will be moving out soon. I have informed the agents several times that there are a lot of moths in the house. I have since found holes in the carpets all around the house, can they hold me responsible ? The carpets are not in good condition. Also the wooden floor is dirty and scratched from chairs can they hold me responsible for that ?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is this and how long have you been there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure what contract. It's through an agent ? I was here for 12 months then I extended it and have been here another 5 months.
I did tell them there seem to be a lot of moths in the house
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thats all I need to know.

Were the moths there when you moved in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know but I dont think I brought them with me ?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
No, but infestation is generally to do with the manner of occupation rather than the condition of the property.

When did you first complain and what has been done about it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I called and told them a few months after we moved in but I don't know if it was logged. They just said spray some moth killer. I then emailed a few months ago and told them I still have an issue, they just said spray again.
The house is very tidy
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

I don't think they could blame you for this realistically.

The report was made very soon after and moths are insects but the life cycle of a moth isn't a few months. They must have been there when you moved in.

In terms of the holes, it depends on their causation. If they were caused by moths then thats not down to you. If they are going to try to argue that they were caused, for instance, by cigarette burns then they may be able to blame that on you unless it was in that condition when you moved in.

Similar with the floor scratches, if they were there when you moved in then you are not responsible for them. If they were not then they could try to argue that is down to your use of the property.