UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

my son has a bought a basement flat on leasehold with a mortgage.no

my son has a bought a basement flat on leasehold with a mortgage.no buildings insurance was required. the property has developed a problem with a damp floor. who will be liable for the repair bill?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

What is causing the damp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure it has been good for 2 1/2 years but since the heavy rain it has caused the laminate floor to blow & the skirting boards to as well .no obvious cause to see. the leaseholder has told him it is condenstation but he (my son) is currently contacting a damp proof firm

If the damp is caused by probkems with the structure of the building, then the freeholder may be liable, otherwise I am afraid it will be your son as the floods are an Act of God and the freeholder may say it is not his problem.

Hope this helps