Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I am about to buy a property that I have now found out has

I am about to buy a property that I have now found out has a flying freehold over a public pathway what do in need to know are there any additional costs I need to know about
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Normally if this was a leasehold flat you would have the benefit of the protection of the flat below. With a flying freehold you do not have the benefit of this and need to ensure that you have access to the path below to carry out repairs to the property without being held to ransom by the owner of the path below.

There are several ways to address this issue from obtaining and indemnity insurance policy to agreeing an easement with the owner of the path below.

Have you check the title plan to ensure that the freehold is actually in the demise of the property?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ