UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

do prospective tenants have to notify you of having an assistance

Customer Question

do prospective tenants have to notify you of having an assistance dog, prior to signing the tenancy agreement ?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello,No, there is no legal obligation to disclose to the landlord of the same unless the landlord specifically asked whether any pets or assistance dogs are involved.It is illegal to refuse to let a property to a tenant with an assistance dog, but the landlord may refuse to let a property to a tenant with a pet if the landlord has a reasonable justification for refusing the pet.Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm a bit confused …….. the tenants signed an Assured Tenancy agreement a month prior to moving in and not once mentioned that they had an assistance dog, They also signed within the tenancy agreement that they would not bring any animals into the property. How can they then bring a dog unannounced ?

You may certInly point out to them that they had signed up to a provision that no animals would be brought to the property but I am afraid you may not refuse them to bring the assistance dog if one of the tenants has a disability and requires the assistance dog for that purpose.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

further to my query yesterday regarding tenants failing to disclose they have an 'assistance dog' as when signing the Assured Tenancy Agreement stating 'No animals in the property' clause.......

whilst I understand you cannot refuse a disabled person from having an assistance dog, we do not believe our tenant hersel is disabled. She's an obsessive gym goer and up until moving to the UK was part of a Roller Darby. As far as we understand she is currently traing/studying about working with animals and the disabled and therefore has the dog for research purposes.

where do we stand in this instance ?

In that case you are free to point out to your tenant that she is in breach of the tenancy agreement and that she should arrange to remove the dog from the property within say 7 days failing which action will be taken to terminate her tenancy.

A letter from yourself or even better, a Solicitor, should be sent along the above lines.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

great, that's good to know. Thank for your help.

welcome. please leave feedback.