Thank you for your helpful answer. In the last 4 years of her life my Mum had extremely limited mobility and suffered from mild dementia so could not have continued living in this house if I had not stayed with her .I had paid her rent until that point but my Mum received a fair ammount of state funding including regular visits from carers so at that point I just helped with day to day living expenses.
The wording of her will is:-
My Trustees (that's all 3 children) shall hold the rest of my estate on trust to retain or sell it and i direct that if my son is still living with me at the date of my death thhe property shall not be sold or marketed for sale within 6 months of the date of my death
This also seems to mean there is no time limit on when we must distribute the estate(i.e either sell it or buy siblings out). Do you think that may be the case?
I do realise that my brother must eventually have his one third share of the value of the house. In order to stop him pestering me would it be safe to inform that I have taken legal advice and that i have been told he has no right to ask me for rent ?
Thank you so much for your very helpful and reassuring reply. May I ask a couple of further questions please? From the small extract of the Will that I quoted does it seem as if there is a time limit on when the property needs to be divided between the three of us? I know that my brother will be angry that he has not got his way over the rent issue and will try to force a sale through quickly . Does the sale of the house have to be a majority decision (I.e can my sister and I veto his wish to sell until we also feel ready ?)
One last(and slightly unrelated) question . My sister lives in Canda and comes back to the UK for 4 or 5 weeks every year . Given that she lives abroad is it likely we will be able to obtain a mortgage on the house to be able to give my brother his one third share? She has maintained a bank account here since she emigrated 30 years ago .
Thank you again for your help
Thank you .I think my brother's main concern will be to get some money quickly (neither he nor his wife are currently working !)If we were to offer him to buyhim out as soon as poss and therefore keep the house for my sister and myselfld could he still refuse this and insist that we sell the house instead ?
Thank you . I think in reality he probably would accept such an offer but I just wanted to explore all possibilities.
Thank you again for your expert invaluable advice . It really has taken a weight off my shoulders knowing that I have a right to refuse his demands for rent. Would it be in order to contact you again if I think of any further questions in the next few weeks ?
Thank you again then. Goodbye for now !