Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello I was wondering if you could let me know what is

Customer Question

I was wondering if you could let me know what is the last day I can serve a valid S21 (4) (a) notice. Tenancy is monthly periodic from say 16th April 2014 to 15 May 2014. In this case is the last day I can serve a valid S21 (4) (a) on the 15th April with an expiry date of 15th June 2014
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Yes, you are right.

The end term date would be the 15th so you can serve upon the term date of the 15th.

It would be safer to do it the day before though to protect you from any allegations arising from that.

Notice should be served on or before the term date.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, so if I were to post the notice first class registered on the 14th April would that be considered delivered on the 14th or 15th April ? Or, should I hand deliver it on the 14th and do I need a witness?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
No, that will be a really bad idea.

If you are going to serve on the 14th then you really need to do it either in person or using an agent at the address of the tenant and you do need a witness.

Do not place this in the post because the presumption will be that you have not served in time.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo

I was wondering would it be OK to serve the notice on a Saturday - the 12 April in person?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that will be a great idea but make sure that you take a witness with you.

Tenants have been known to lie through their teeth and deny receiving things of this nature.