Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

My daughter purchased a freehold house on a private development,

My daughter purchased a freehold house on a private development, she has approached the
developers with the view to purchasing the strip of land between the property and road frontage to give them direct road access the strip of land is approximately 5mt in dept.
The developers have responded by claiming the land has been designated as managed land and as such everyone on the development has the right to use it and the land therefore cannot be sold, the area in question is gated from the rest of the development.
Please advise if I can pursue with this or do I have to accept the developers statement as final.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

I’m afraid if the developer’s own the land and have designated it as managed land then it probably means that they are obligated to keep it as such in the transfers of other properties in the development.

Even if it were not designated as such OR if they were not so obligated then they would still not be under a duty to even consider selling it, there is no way that your daughter can compel them to either I’m afraid.

I am sorry.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom