75100385

Is a private Landlord allowed to increase your rent by over

Customer Question

Is a private Landlord allowed to increase your rent by over 20% at any time and without reason?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What type of tenancy do you have please?

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

I live in the residence of a hospital and work at the hospital, have done for several years.

Alex Watts :

What does the rent agreement say about increases please?

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

I do not have a rent agreement that has been signed. Generally the rent goes up with inflation yearly but this year it has increased by over 20% for eveyone in the residences?

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

Is this legal?

Alex Watts :

On what basis then is the Landlord able to increase it by that much?

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

The letter received through the front door by all tennets does not give a reason at all.

Alex Watts :

You should write to the Landlord and dispute it

Alex Watts :

The Landlord should then remit the matter to the Rent Valuation Tribunal

Alex Watts :

They are independent tribunal and can determine the rent

Alex Watts :

The Tribunal can consider fair rent and decide that

Alex Watts :

It is a free service

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

The letter states, 'This is to inform you we have revised the annual rent increase that took place on 1st April. Please find the revised rent effective 1st May 2014.

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

We have recalculated that your new monthly rent will be £330.00

Alex Watts :

Yes. You should write and dispute it

Alex Watts :

They can only raise it with your permission

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

Thank you for your advice I will do this.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

I will forward the response I get from the Landlord to see if I need anymore advice, thank you.

Alex Watts :

Yes you can raise new questions for my attention

Alex Watts :

Please do leave feedback before you go

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-8o8c1gzl- :

I am waiting for a response from the company that have increased the rent as advised. When I have a response I will continue my conversation,Regards Julie