75100385

I have commercial property let a lease. The lease has

Customer Question

I have commercial property let a lease. The lease period has now expired the tenant is still in occupation and paying rent. However, I may need the property back either for my own use or to demolish and develop some residential properties on it. My company has owned the property since 2008 I have not discussed anything with the tenant but I have been advised that the tenant may have rights as he is protected. 

Also, there are two houses which sit behind my proposed development and there is a window which may well be affected in terms of blocking light. However, it may well be no planning consent may have been obtained for this window.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If the fixed period has ended and the lease has not been renewed then generally a tenant won't have rights, unless the agreement states it has a renewal clause

Alex Watts :

If the tenant has a right to renew in the lease then you may be struggling

Alex Watts :

This is because the tenant may have a right, in the agreement

Alex Watts :

If the tenant does NOT have a right in the agreement then you simply need to give notice, as per the lease

Alex Watts :

Once you have given notice as per the lease then the tenant must move out upon expiration

Alex Watts :

Therefore you need to check the terms of the lease to see what it says about renewal

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/