Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

What trees or bushes can I grow on agriculture land

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask the use you intend to put the land to please - i.e. the purpose for which you intend the land?

Customer: It us a small piece of Agicultural land that falls within my boundary .I have not applied for change of use and want to retain it as agricultural land .
Customer: however want to grow some trees or bushes to disguise a concrete wall which us on the agri land and wanted to know what is deemed as suitable on agricultural land .....thank you , this matter is urgent please
Joshua :

Thanks. Planning law does not expressly define what plants can and can't be grown on agricultural land. Rather planning law concerns itself with the overall use of the land in question. You can carry out agriculture on land designated as agricultural land - perhaps obviously. ‘Agriculture’ is defined as: “horticulture, fruit growing, seed growing, dairy farming, the breeding and keeping of livestock (including any creature kept for the production of food, wool, skins or fur, or for the purpose of its use in the farming of land) the use of land as grazing land, meadow land, osier land, market gardens and nursery grounds and the use of land for woodlands where that use is ancillary to the farming of land for other agricultural purposes.

Joshua :

What the planning authority will take exception to is an arrangement on the land whereby its appearance is consistent with residential garden rather than agricultural land. This does not mean you cannot plant some bushes and trees for visual improvement of the land providing such purpose is incidental to the primary use of the land for agricultural purposes as defined above.

Joshua :

If however the primary purpose of the land appears to be one of a garden rather than agricultural purpose, you may fall into difficulties with the planners. It is normally quite easy to distinguish a residential garden from agricultural land. This does not mean that the two may not share some common features.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Joshua :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?

Customer: Thank you very helpful .....only thing that us not clear .....am I able to plant trees or bushes along the wall to disguise wall without being in breach of actual use which is agricultural .The space is only three metres larger than original boundary but is 20 metres in length .The boundary wall us there so in effect a hedge but would like to plant a hedge of someme kind along the wall .
Customer: THE REST OF THE GROUND WILL REMAIN AS RYE GRASS IE AS FIELD ALTHOUGH CUT REGULARLY .
Customer: THANK YOU
Joshua :

I can see no reason why this would be an issue in and of itself. There is nothing that prohibits you making agricultural land look visually attractive providing the principal use remains agricultural.

Joshua :

If the hedge would be adjacent to a road, there can be issues with regards XXXXX XXXXX over 1m in height but this is a separate consideration to the agricultural element.

Joshua :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: You have been very helpful , thank you very much indeed
Joshua :

A pleasure. If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.