75100385

Utilities Question On buy-to-let properties tenants often

Customer Question

Utilities Question

On buy-to-let properties tenants often change to a different utility provider in these days of high energy charges to get a better rate.

Once a tenant leaves. and notifies the utility company for a final bill, what responsibility does the owner have to the utility company?

i.e. tenant may have switch to a plan that has a standing charge, and this may not be suitable for the landlord if the property is empty. Is the utility company obliged to notify the landlord about what plan he is taking on, and other plans available?

Regards,

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : The landlord is responsible for the utilities when the tenant leaves.
Alex Watts : But when the tenant is there then the tenant is responsible.
Alex Watts : The landlord is not bound by the new supplier, as the contract is with the tenant and not the landlord.
Alex Watts : The landlord or new tenant can switch as they wish
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Hi Alex,

Customer:

Thank you for that.

Customer:

What happens if the tenant doesn't notify the utility company, and said company then looks to the landlord for payment?

Customer:

Regards,

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Any chance you could comment on this Alex???? ....

Hi Alex,
Customer:
Thank you for that.
Customer:
Customer:
Its not for the Landlord. The tenant should provide end readings and a forwarding address.

The Landlord is only responsible once the tenant leaves and for energy use after that.