Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am considering taking a tenancy of a house unfurnished for

Customer Question

I am considering taking a tenancy of a house unfurnished for up to five years. Can you advise of landlords' right by Statute to seek and thereby determine the agreement during the continuance of a shorthold tenancy (ie possession required for a member of the landlords' family) where there is otherwise no breach of terms. If this is so can any relief be obtained by the tenant in possession.Thank you.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean?

You mean can anybody other than the landlord bring an end to an AST?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I am told that under Housing Act a shorthold tenancy can be brought to an end by the landlord (only) requiring possession for a member of his family.

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

Could you tell me if the landlord has given you written notice that the house is his principal home and that he may wish to move back in OR that there is a mortgage on the property to which the tenancy will be subject?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Would you like to continue?