tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

I have been a tenant at a property for 10 years . During this

I have been a tenant at a property for 10 years . During this time a washing machine broke down which I replaced with my own, and a sofa was replaced due to wear and tear with a replacement sofa supplied by my landlord. I placed the old sofa and broken washing machine in the back garden. The letting agency have now sent me a letter saying that I must pay to have these items taken away or they will have their contractors do it and send me the bill. Is this correct? Do I have to pay for these items to be taken away? Even if they technically belong to the landlord?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with this.

tdlawyer :

Are you still a tenant at the property?

Customer:

yes i am

tdlawyer :

Hello.

tdlawyer :

If you are still a tenant of the property, I'm unclear why the landlord has any right at all to come in and have things removed from the property.

tdlawyer :

Until you leave the property, he has no right (as landlord) to come in to the property and remove anything at all, even from the garden.