wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

My flatmate wants to sublet his room (to a couple) for the

My flatmate wants to sublet his room (to a couple) for the final three months of our contract. He is not planning on informing the letting agency/landlord. This is going to breech our contract (it's a joined contract which all the flatmates have signed) which states that we agree not to sublet without the agency/landlord's prior consent. I don't really want to get involved, but how could this potentially affect me if the agency/landlord found out? Thank you.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. If you've all signed one tenancy agreement, it is likely that you are jointly and severally liable under it. This means that you could be liable for a breach caused by one of the other tenants. The risk you run is that this couple refuse to leave when the tenancy ends. The landlord might then have to take eviction proceedings, and he may be entitled to sue you and the others for his costs or losses because you're all liable for the breach that caused the problem. Other issues could arise, such as non-payment of their share of rent and bills etc. Personally, I would not allow the subletting to proceed without consent.