wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I bought my house with intention of putting up a fence high

Customer Question

I bought my house with intention of putting up a fence high enough for my privacy. a few days before I moved in my next door put in a fence , it is so low I have no privacy. am I with in my rights to make it a bit higher so I can have some privacy.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Yes, you can erect your own fence, on your side of the boundary, to a maximum height of 2 metres / 6 feet. This is a general principle - you won't need planning permission if the fence won't be next to a piblic highway. Also, you should check that there are no covenants prohibiting higher fences.