75100385

I gave someone a tenancy agreement for 12 months but was unaware

I gave someone a tenancy agreement for 12 months but was unaware of a bond protection scheme. The tenant has placed her notice and is demanding details and a certificate what do i have to do?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Just protect it now. Put it into a scheme.
Alex Watts : Once you have done that you have complied with your legal obligation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

Hi, i have set up a scheme now but could you please tell my what the implications are for not doing this sooner as my tenants states she wants to pursue the matter further. Thank you

Alex Watts :

It makes no difference, the tenants that left as still liable

Alex Watts :

They can't get away from that

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

Hi sorry but do you mean she is still liable to complete her notice to period in full? My tenants says she is taking the matter further reagrding the certificate and i will have to pay her 3 times more thn ====]

Customer:

* than the deposit amount. Thank you

Alex Watts : The tenants that left need to give full notice.
Alex Watts : If you protect the deposit then they can't take action, any claim ends.
Alex Watts : This is what case law states
Alex Watts : Does that clarify matters?
Customer:

That is fantastic thank you. Sorry for my confusion i am just really worried about any implications. I only rented my flat out as it had no sold on the market. I am a married mum and work full time, renting is not something i have done before and now will never do again.

Alex Watts : No problem. Please remember to leave feedback before you go today.