wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

I own a semi-detached chalet bungalow, with a rear brick built

Customer Question

I own a semi-detached chalet bungalow, with a rear brick built one storey extension, the flank wall of which forms the boundary with our neighbours' garden. Several years ago our then neighbours decided to build a patio above the level of the damp course. my surveyor suggested that 3/4 inch gap should be left between the patio and our wall and filled with gravel. This was done at my expense. The surveyor said that the gap should be kept free of any plant growth. Our new neighbours, of three years, said that they would remove the patio, but this has not happened, weeds have grown in the gravel an climbing plants have been placed next to the wall. The flank wall is now very damp and possibly dangerous. Although a damp specialist has inspected the damp from inside our room, our neighbours refused access to their garden in order to view the wall from the outside, although I explained the situation to them in a letter. This means that I will be unable to deal with the problem completely.
As you can see relationships with my neighbours have deteriorated to the point of non-existence.

Please advise an appropriate course of action.

Many thanks, XXXXX
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer :

Hello. Has anyone suggested the Access to Neighbouring Land Act as a resolution?

wingrovebuyer :

Also, exactly when did the patio go in?