Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Me and my partner are currently renting a property off my partners

Me and my partner are currently renting a property off my partners brother which has a fixed-term 12 month agreement that ends at the end of november however we have give them a months notice that we are vacating the property and moving into the new house in a weeks time but have agreed with them to pay another 2 months rent until the end of june or until they can get new tenants in. I was just wanting to know if we hand over the keys to the property back do we still have to pay the 2 months rent and also can the landlord change the locks if we are still paying rent as they mentioned they were going to change them straight away. Thanks
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I'm afraid that handing the keys back does not mean you are not liable to pay until the notice period expires or a new tenant is found.

However, he cannot just change the locks. At least, he can if he likes but he has to give you a copy of the key or stop charging you rent. If you are paying rent then you are entitled to access to the property. If you choose not to use it then thats a matter for you but you are entitled to do so if you choose.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thought i would still have to pay the rent was just double checking as have read many things and never been in this situation before and wasn't sure about the changing of locks but thank you for your advice it was very helpful.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/