LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

I wish to install a new drain from my peppery to a main sewer

I wish to install a new drain from my peppery to a main sewer which has to run under my neighbours garden where do I stand legally
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Is this an existing drain which you wish to replace or is it an entirely new drain where none exists or has existed?

Customer: It is a new drain
Customer: There is also the option of putting the drain in using trenchless methods
LondonlawyerJ :

Do you have a legal right or easement to use the other's land for the purposes of drainage. Your solicitor should have made this clear at the time of purchase.

Customer: No
LondonlawyerJ :

I am afraid that puts you in a very difficult position then. YOU have no right to put a sewer through your neighbour's land and ther ei sno reason why he can not agree to it subject to a fee. Can you continue to use your existing sewer?

Customer: Thanks a lot I'm going to speak to the local water authority and ask if they will serve a notice on the property owner