Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

The council have agreed to sell my mother and I our council

Customer Question

The council have agreed to sell my mother and I our council flat, will I be able to have a mortgage on my own.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you asked the lender about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have and they said it was down to the solicitors.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

There is no legal reason why there cannot just be one of you on the mortgage provided the lender will agree for the deeds to be in joint names but for the mortgage to be in your sole name. The deeds will have to be in joint names.

Provided therefore that the lender is willing to do that, the solicitor will do that for you.

Has the solicitor raised some kind of issue or problem with that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have not spoken to a solicitor other than your goodself, it was the Building Society that will give me a mortgage that said I must seek legal advice on this matter.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
There should be no problem with this. You will need a solicitor in any event to deal with the purchase paperwork and the lenders paperwork and the solicitor will sort this out for you.

All the best.