Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hello, A tenant has given early notice to quit as they have

Customer Question

A tenant has given early notice to quit as they have been given a council house. They have not given the required notice.

They have said that they are taking all the carpets with them "as they paid for them" after damage by a tradesman they employed.

As the property was let, with carpets in very good condition, what are the landlords rights in this situation?

Regards,
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you asking if they can take the carpet with them please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, basically that is what they have said, and there is no negotiation.

Regards,

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

They cannot just remove something like a carpet. That is something that has become affixed to the house. If they were stupid enough to do improvements upon a property that wasn't theirs then that is their fault.

If they do remove the carpets then they will be liable for the cost of replacing your old carpets. Obviously they cannot replace your old carpets because they will have been disposed of but they are liable for a proportionate price bearing in mind that your carpets had sustained some use so the recommended retail price will not be available.

But you would get the cost of fitting etc.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/