75100385

I have protection under the 1954 landlord tenant act I rent

I have protection under the 1954 landlord tenant act I rent a barn business premises and been there 38years a new landlord took over a couple of years ago and now wants to teble my rent, I could pay the extra rent but I would need to update the premises with the basic needs ,ie toilet facilities, fire regs,and the outside yard needs resufacing, if I had these in place I could employ more staff and therefore be in a better position to pay the extra rent. Can I get, or insist that the landlord provides these new facilities?
regards XXXXX XXXXX

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is there a clause about rent disputes please?

Customer:

there is no clause with regaaard to rent disputes

Alex Watts :

ok- what you need to do is instruct a surveyor

Alex Watts :

The surveyor will then give you an idea of the rent for that property.

Alex Watts :

Then you can take it to Court/Tribunal and dispute the increase

Alex Watts :

There will be a hearing before a panel and your surveyor will give evidence about what the rent should be

Alex Watts :

The panel will then decide what the rent will be

Alex Watts :

But a surveyor is the first point.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thank you what I would realy like to know is can I get this landlord to put in place the basic facilities ie, toilets, fire precautions, and make the outside walking area safe which is full of potholes etc, health and safety tell me I cannot employ staff until these items are effected, I would like the landlord to pay for these items can I insist being as they were not in place whenthey took over being as I am selfemployed I have made do without them

Alex Watts :

Well that depends on what your lease is.

Alex Watts :

If it is a full repairing lease then probably not.

Alex Watts :

If it is not then you probably can as it needs to be up to regulations.

Alex Watts :

But it really depends on the lease itself.

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify matters?

Customer:

yes thank you