75100385

Our property adjacent to next door. Since November 2013 has

Our property adjacent to next door. Since November 2013 has water damage in up stairs bedroom with fungus on corner of room. fungus on ceiling living
room paper peeling off walls which we had decorated.
I went next door in 14 November 2013 the lady let me see the bedroom adjacent to my bedroom, which was soaking wet she had not reported this to her council, she rang her
council and the said they would come round to her place. Numerous calls to the council
by our self a surveyor came to our property in March 2014 and we have not heard from him. The council said that the property had to have a new roof and extensive work inside the property. They started the work 17 April 2014. I went in and saw that they had to replace her ceiling and take off the plaster and and re-rendered and the same had to be done in down stairs room adjacent to our living room. We have photographs of both houses, we have sent these to the council and the just do not
answer any correspondence or any phone calls. Our own insurance will not entertain us as the say that we are not covered for water damage from roofs. It has been five months
now. The council L&G London Quadrant Direct Group. Can you give us any advise on this as we are pensioners.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Is the next door a tenant rented? Is your owned or rented please?

Customer:

tenant rented

Alex Watts :

From the Council?

Customer:

Alex Watts :

Yes, from the Council they rent?

Customer:

Yes

Alex Watts :

Ok - and you have had a surveyors report?

Customer:

We have had the council surveyor look at our property he also took photos of our damage and we have not had any reponse

Alex Watts :

Ok - have you written to the Council please?

Customer:

Yes a few times they never reply to us

Alex Watts :

Ok - you need to take the following steps:

Alex Watts :

1) Write to the Chief Officers Office at the Council

Alex Watts :

Say you are making a formal complaint

Alex Watts :

That office will investigate the matter for you

Alex Watts :

If that does not resolve it then you can take the next step

Alex Watts :

2) Complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They are independent of the Council and can examine your complaint

Alex Watts :

They offer a free service and can look a this for you

Alex Watts :

Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

3) If that does not work then you can go to Court

Alex Watts :

But you are likely to have to pay for this as legal aid cuts mean its no longer available

Alex Watts :

But if you go to Court the Council can be made to disclose the photos etc

Alex Watts :

Clearly there is a cost which is why you should take the first two options

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thank you

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

We own our property

Alex Watts :

Yes I understand.

Alex Watts :

Have you read the above answers, do they set out what you need to do clearly?

Customer:

Yes thank you

Alex Watts :

Great.

Alex Watts :

Please do remember to leave feedback before you go today

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience