75100385

do i need to give my neighbours a party wall notice

Customer Question

i am having a new kitchen bathroom done in my house do i need to send my neighbours a party wall i am also having new plasterboards on ceiling changed and possibly change a little of my roof as there is a leak ihave a terrace house

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Guidance from the government states
Alex Watts : Some works on a party wall may be so minor that service of notice under the Act would be generally regarded as not necessary
Alex Watts : Things like
Alex Watts : • drilling into a party wall to fix plugs and screws for ordinary wall units or shelving
Alex Watts : • cutting into a party wall to add or replace recessed electric wiring and sockets
Alex Watts : • removing old plaster and replastering
Alex Watts : may all be too minor to require a notice under the Act.
Alex Watts : However, the key point is whether your planned work might have any possible consequences for the structural strength and support functions of the party wall as a whole, or cause damage to the Adjoining Owner's side of the wall. If you are in doubt about whether your planned work requires a notice you might wish to seek advice from a qualified building professional.
Alex Watts : Therefore if you are only having cosmetic work done generally this is considered minor.
Alex Watts : Usually it is only where work such as
Alex Watts : • to repair a party wall
Alex Watts : • to insert a damp proof course
Alex Watts : • to underpin the whole thickness of a party wall
Alex Watts : • to demolish and rebuild a party wall
Alex Watts : etc notice is required for major works.
Alex Watts : Therefore just having a kitchen and bathroom done will normally be considered minor and no notice.
Alex Watts : The same applies with new pasted boards on the ceiling and replacing roof tiles on your side.
Alex Watts : For detailed information please see
Alex Watts : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/207310/Party_Wall_etc._Act_1996_-_Explanatory_Booklet.pdf
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-js9tq3xo- :

no

JACUSTOMER-js9tq3xo- :

i am not fully satisfied with this answer as i have already checked the above document and this just states the same

Alex Watts : Ok. What do you need to know?
Alex Watts : You asked if you need to give notice. I have said no, given the reasons and referred to the legal document as to why not.
Alex Watts : No you do not need to give notice.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify the position?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/